(Except Chinese public holidays)
Any problem found in the printing process of solder paste can be one of the primary reasons for forming a solder bridge in the electrical circuit. For example, any grime or dust particles found at the bottom of the stencil will lead to a gap during printing. This will cause solder paste to be applied inaccurately. This can be one of the reasons for the presence of solder bridging in any circuit assembly or circuit design.
Sufficient spacing between solder pads and the proper placement of components reduces the risk of solder bridging. It is disastrous to have soldered bridging on the PCB—solder bridging leads to serious operational issues and circuits malfunctioning.
The solder bridge can be detached using the surface tension of molten solder without the need for a wick. It is done using a soldering iron with a clear top. Ensure that there should not be overheating of pads or ICs.
Soldering bridges can be a big problem if formed in any electronic circuit or assembly. However, following the proper techniques can fix a formed solder bridge. Given below are some of the steps that can be followed to fix the problem of the solder bridge in a circuit:
● The right tools, like flux, pliers, solder wire soldering iron, etc, need to be used for fixing the formed solder bridge.
● Safety precautions and safety measures are required to be followed for fixing the solder bridge.
● Heat the solder joint where required and remove the excess solder.
● Clean the area to avoid any malfunctioning of the circuit.
● Apply flux to the surface.
● Solder the joints and allow them some time to cool down.
● Inspect the joints overall to analyze if everything is in order now.
Solder bridging harms the functioning and performance of an electrical circuit. Preventive measures can save the electrical assemblies and can improve performance. Electronic circuits and assemblies can be salvaged if the procedures for repairing solder bridging are mastered well. This article has discussed the concept of solder bridging and its implications in an electrical project. It has also discussed the causes of solder bridging and solutions to fix this problem.
Looking for a PCB or PCBA quote? Contact us now.
Previpc class definition | class 2 vs class 3: different pcb design rules
Nextlpi solder mask: how is the liquid photo-imageable solder mask applied